Unfamiliar kana
Spiros Bousbouras
2023-11-19 15:23:24 UTC
I'm going through a manga and I have encountered a kana which looks like
ん but also has 2 small lines on upper right. They look similar (in size ,
position and orientation) to the 2 small lines of じ , ぢ and various
other kana. Can someone tell me what this is ? In case it helps , the text
has 2 successive appearances of the kana.
Stefan Ram
2023-11-19 15:33:12 UTC
Post by Spiros Bousbouras
I'm going through a manga and I have encountered a kana which looks like
ん but also has 2 small lines on upper right.
This might be a ん (moraic n) with a dakuten.

"In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to
indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on
あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to
indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound." - Wikipedia
Jim
2023-11-20 15:29:10 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Spiros Bousbouras
I'm going through a manga and I have encountered a kana which looks like
ん but also has 2 small lines on upper right.
This might be a ん (moraic n) with a dakuten.
"In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to
indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on
あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to
indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound." - Wikipedia
On a tangent, the dakuten also may be combined with Japanese vowels,
also normally not so modified.

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2016/16133-japanese-voiced-vowels.pdf

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.
Spiros Bousbouras
ん゙ looks right , thanks.
HenHanna
2024-03-04 23:39:16 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Spiros Bousbouras
I'm going through a manga and I have encountered a kana which looks like
ん but also has 2 small lines on upper right.
This might be a ん (moraic n) with a dakuten.
"In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to
indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on
あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to
indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound." - Wikipedia
北斗の拳:独特の擬音「ひでぶ」「あべし」は当初誤字扱い

 人気マンガ「北斗の拳」で知られるマンガ家の原哲夫さんが8日、六本木ヒルズ(東京都港区)で開かれている「創刊50周年記念
週刊少年ジャンプ展VOL.1」内のイベント「レジェンドトークショー」に登場した。原さんは「北斗の拳」に出てくる有名な擬音「ひでぶ」「あべし」が、編集者から当初「字が間違えているぞ!」と指摘されたという“レジェンド”エピソードを明かした。